Tasks and Duties
- Move levers, pedals, and throttles in order to stop, start, and regulate speeds of hoist or winch drums in response to hand, bell, buzzer, telephone, loud-speaker, or whistle signals, or by observing dial indicators or cable marks.
- Start engines of hoists or winches and use levers and pedals to wind or unwind cable on drums.
- Observe equipment gauges and indicators and hand signals of other workers in order to verify load positions and/or depths.
- Operate compressed air, diesel, electric, gasoline, or steam-driven hoists or winches in order to control movement of cableways, cages, derricks, draglines, loaders, railcars, or skips.
- Move or reposition hoists, winches, loads and materials, manually or using equipment and machines such as trucks, cars, and hand trucks.
- Select loads or materials according to weight and size specifications.
- Signal and assist other workers loading or unloading materials.
- Attach, fasten, and disconnect cables or lines to loads, materials, and equipment, using hand tools.
- Apply hand or foot brakes and move levers to lock hoists or winches.
- Oil winch drums so that cables will wind smoothly.
- Climb ladders in order to position and setup vehicle-mounted derricks.
- Repair, maintain, and adjust equipment, using hand tools.
- Tend auxiliary equipment such as jacks, slings, cables, or stop blocks, in order to facilitate moving items or materials for further processing.
This project is supported, in part, by the National Science Foundation. Opinions expressed are those of the authors and not necessarily the Foundation.