Tasks and Duties
- Reads blueprints to determine dimensions of furnishings in ships or boats.
- Shapes and laminates wood to form parts of ship, using steam chambers, clamps, glue, and jigs.
- Repairs structural woodwork and replaces defective parts and equipment, using hand tools and power tools.
- Shapes irregular parts and trims excess material from bulkhead and furnishings to ensure fit meets specifications.
- Constructs floors, doors, and partitions, using woodworking machines, hand tools, and power tools.
- Cuts wood or glass to specified dimensions, using hand tools and power tools.
- Assembles and installs hardware, gaskets, floors, furnishings, or insulation, using adhesive, hand tools, and power tools.
- Transfers dimensions or measurements of wood parts or bulkhead on plywood, using measuring instruments and marking devices.
- Greases gears and other moving parts of machines on ship.
This project is supported, in part, by the National Science Foundation. Opinions expressed are those of the authors and not necessarily the Foundation.