Tasks and Duties
- Follow safety procedures in order to ensure the protection of passengers, cargo, and vessels.
- Issue directions for loading, unloading, and seating in boats.
- Maintain desired courses, using compasses or electronic navigational aids.
- Operate engine throttles and steering mechanisms in order to guide boats on desired courses.
- Oversee operation of vessels used for carrying passengers, motor vehicles, or goods across rivers, harbors, lakes, and coastal waters.
- Secure boats to docks with mooring lines, and cast off lines to enable departure.
- Arrange repairs, fuel, and supplies for vessels.
- Clean boats and repair hulls and superstructures, using hand tools, paint, and brushes.
- Direct safety operations in emergency situations.
- Maintain equipment such as range markers, fire extinguishers, boat fenders, lines, pumps, and fittings.
- Organize and direct the activities of crew members.
- Report any observed navigational hazards to authorities.
- Service motors by performing tasks such as changing oil and lubricating parts.
- Tow, push, or guide other boats, barges, logs, or rafts.
- Perform general labor duties such as repairing booms.
- Position booms around docked ships.
- Take depth soundings in turning basins.
This project is supported, in part, by the National Science Foundation. Opinions expressed are those of the authors and not necessarily the Foundation.