Tasks and Duties
- Measure geological characteristics used in prospecting for oil or gas, using measuring instruments.
- Record readings in order to compile data used in prospecting for oil or gas.
- Evaluate and interpret core samples and cuttings, and other geological data used in prospecting for oil or gas.
- Operate and adjust equipment and apparatus used to obtain geological data.
- Read and study reports in order to compile information and data for geological and geophysical prospecting.
- Set up, or direct set-up of instruments used to collect geological data.
- Collect samples and cuttings, using equipment and hand tools.
- Interview individuals, and research public databases in order to obtain information.
- Assemble, maintain, and distribute information for library or record systems.
- Plan and direct activities of workers who operate equipment to collect data.
- Develop and print photographic recordings of information, using equipment.
- Diagnose and repair malfunctioning instruments and equipment, using manufacturers' manuals and hand tools.
- Develop and design packing materials and handling procedures for shipping of objects.
- Prepare and attach packing instructions to shipping containers.
- Prepare notes, sketches, geological maps and cross-sections.
- Supervise oil, water, and gas well drilling activities.
This project is supported, in part, by the National Science Foundation. Opinions expressed are those of the authors and not necessarily the Foundation.