Tasks and Duties
- Assemble, operate, and maintain field and laboratory testing, measuring, and mechanical equipment, working as part of a crew when required.
- Collect and prepare solid and fluid samples for analysis.
- Compile and record testing and operational data for review and further analysis.
- Plot information from aerial photographs, well logs, section descriptions, and other databases.
- Prepare notes, sketches, geological maps, and cross sections.
- Prepare, transcribe, and/or analyze seismic, gravimetric, well log or other geophysical and survey data.
- Test and analyze samples in order to determine their content and characteristics, using laboratory apparatus and testing equipment.
- Adjust and repair testing, electrical, and mechanical equipment and devices.
- Assess the environmental impacts of development projects on subsurface materials.
- Collaborate with hydro-geologists in order to evaluate groundwater and well circulation.
- Participate in geological, geophysical, geochemical, hydrographic or oceanographic surveys, prospecting field trips, exploratory drilling, well logging or underground mine survey programs.
- Participate in the evaluation of possible mining locations.
- Inspect engines for wear and defective parts, using equipment and measuring devices.
- Supervise well exploration and drilling activities, and well completions.
This project is supported, in part, by the National Science Foundation. Opinions expressed are those of the authors and not necessarily the Foundation.