Tasks and Duties
- Monitor control panels during pumping operations in order to ensure that materials are being pumped at the correct pressure, density, rate, and concentration.
- Operate engines and pumps in order to shut off wells according to production schedules, and to switch flow of oil into storage tanks.
- Perform routine maintenance on vehicles and equipment.
- Repair gas and oil meters and gauges.
- Unload and assemble pipes and pumping equipment, using hand tools.
- Attach pumps and hoses to wellheads.
- Start compressor engines, and divert oil from storage tanks into compressor units and auxiliary equipment in order to recover natural gas from oil.
- Open valves to return compressed gas to bottoms of specified wells in order to repressurize them and force oil to surface.
- Supervise oil pumpers and other workers engaged in producing oil from wells.
- Drive trucks in order to transport high-pressure pumping equipment, and chemicals, fluids, or gases to be pumped into wells.
- Prepare trucks and equipment necessary for the type of pumping service required.
- Control pumping and blending equipment to acidize, cement, or fracture gas or oil wells and permeable rock formations.
- Mix acids, chemicals, or dry cement as required for a specific job.
This project is supported, in part, by the National Science Foundation. Opinions expressed are those of the authors and not necessarily the Foundation.