Tasks and Duties
- Clamp holding fixtures on ends of hoisting cables.
- Control the viscosity and weight of the drilling fluid.
- Guide lengths of pipe into and out of elevators.
- Inspect derricks for flaws, and clean and oil derricks in order to maintain proper working conditions.
- Inspect derricks, or order their inspection, prior to being raised or lowered.
- Listen to mud pumps and check regularly for vibration and other problems, in order to ensure that rig pumps and drilling mud systems are working properly.
- Position and align derrick elements, using harnesses and platform climbing devices.
- Set and bolt crown blocks to posts at tops of derricks.
- Start pumps that circulate mud through drill pipes and boreholes to cool drill bits and flush out drill-cuttings.
- Steady pipes during connection to or disconnection from drill or casing strings.
- String cables through pulleys and blocks.
- Prepare mud reports, and instruct crews about the handling of any chemical additives.
- Repair pumps, mud tanks, and related equipment.
- Supervise crew members, and provide assistance in training them.
- Weigh clay, and mix with water and chemicals in order to make drilling mud, using portable mixers.
This project is supported, in part, by the National Science Foundation. Opinions expressed are those of the authors and not necessarily the Foundation.