Tasks and Duties
- Clean up spilled oil by bailing it into barrels.
- Unscrew or tighten pipes, casing, tubing, and pump rods, using hand and power wrenches and tongs.
- Bolt together pump and engine parts.
- Walk flow lines to locate leaks, using electronic detectors and making visual inspections.
- Move pipes to and from trucks, using truck winches and motorized lifts, or by hand.
- Dismantle and repair oil field machinery, boilers, and steam engine parts, using hand tools and power tools.
- Dig drainage ditches around wells and storage tanks.
- Keep pipe deck and main deck areas clean and tidy.
- Guide cranes to move loads about decks.
- Supply equipment to rig floors as requested, and provide assistance to roughnecks.
- Dig holes, set forms, and mix and pour concrete into forms in order to make foundations for wood or steel derricks.
- Cut down and remove trees and brush to clear drill sites, in order to reduce fire hazards, and to make way for roads to sites.
- Bolt or nail together wood or steel framework in order to erect derricks.
This project is supported, in part, by the National Science Foundation. Opinions expressed are those of the authors and not necessarily the Foundation.