Tasks and Duties
- Modify existing software to correct errors, to adapt it to new hardware or to upgrade interfaces and improve performance.
- Design and develop software systems, using scientific analysis and mathematical models to predict and measure outcome and consequences of design.
- Consult with engineering staff to evaluate interface between hardware and software, develop specifications and performance requirements and resolve customer problems.
- Analyze information to determine, recommend and plan installation of a new system or modification of an existing system.
- Develop and direct software system testing and validation procedures.
- Direct software programming and development of documentation.
- Consult with customers and/or other departments on project status, proposals and technical issues such as software system design and maintenance.
- Advise customer about, or perform, maintenance of software system.
- Coordinate installation of software system.
- Monitor functioning of equipment to ensure system operates in conformance with specifications.
- Store, retrieve, and manipulate data for analysis of system capabilities and requirements.
- Confer with data processing and project managers to obtain information on limitations and capabilities for data processing projects.
- Prepare reports and correspondence concerning project specifications, activities and status.
- Evaluate factors such as reporting formats required, cost constraints, and need for security restrictions to determine hardware configuration.
- Supervise and assign work to programmers, designers, technologists and technicians and other engineering and scientific personnel.
- Train users to use new or modified equipment.
- Utilize microcontrollers to develop control signals, implement control algorithms and measure process variables such as temperatures, pressures and positions.
- Recommend purchase of equipment to control dust, temperature, and humidity in area of system installation.
- Specify power supply requirements and configuration.
This project is supported, in part, by the National Science Foundation. Opinions expressed are those of the authors and not necessarily the Foundation.