Tasks and Duties
- Read and interpret blueprints, technical drawings, schematics, and computer-generated reports.
- Confer with engineers and other personnel to implement operating procedures, resolve system malfunctions, and provide technical information.
- Research and analyze customer design proposals, specifications, manuals, and other data to evaluate the feasibility, cost, and maintenance requirements of designs or applications.
- Specify system components or direct modification of products to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specifications.
- Research, design, evaluate, install, operate, and maintain mechanical products, equipment, systems and processes to meet requirements, applying knowledge of engineering principles.
- Investigate equipment failures and difficulties to diagnose faulty operation, and to make recommendations to maintenance crew.
- Assist drafters in developing the structural design of products, using drafting tools or computer-assisted design/drafting equipment and software.
- Provide feedback to design engineers on customer problems and needs.
- Oversee installation, operation, maintenance, and repair to ensure that machines and equipment are installed and functioning according to specifications.
- Conduct research that tests and analyzes the feasibility, design, operation and performance of equipment, components and systems.
- Recommend design modifications to eliminate machine or system malfunctions.
- Develop and test models of alternate designs and processing methods to assess feasibility, operating condition effects, possible new applications and necessity of modification.
- Develop, coordinate, and monitor all aspects of production, including selection of manufacturing methods, fabrication, and operation of product designs.
- Estimate costs and submit bids for engineering, construction, or extraction projects, and prepare contract documents.
- Perform personnel functions, such as supervision of production workers, technicians, technologists and other engineers, and design of evaluation programs.
- Solicit new business and provide technical customer service.
- Establish and coordinate the maintenance and safety procedures, service schedule, and supply of materials required to maintain machines and equipment in the prescribed condition.
- Study industrial processes to determine where and how application of equipment can be made.
- Write performance requirements for product development or engineering projects.
- Apply engineering principles and practices to emerging fields, such as robotics, waste management, and biomedical engineering.
- Design test control apparatus and equipment and develop procedures for testing products.
This project is supported, in part, by the National Science Foundation. Opinions expressed are those of the authors and not necessarily the Foundation.watches