Tasks and Duties
- Prepare parts sketches and write work orders and purchase requests to be furnished by outside contractors.
- Draft detail drawing or sketch for drafting room completion or to request parts fabrication by machine, sheet or wood shops.
- Review project instructions and blueprints to ascertain test specifications, procedures, and objectives, and test nature of technical problems, such as redesign.
- Review project instructions and specifications to identify, modify and plan requirements fabrication, assembly and testing.
- Devise, fabricate, and assemble new or modified mechanical components for products, such as industrial machinery or equipment, and measuring instruments.
- Discuss changes in design, method of manufacture and assembly, and drafting techniques and procedures with staff and coordinate corrections.
- Set up and conduct tests of complete units and components under operational conditions to investigate proposals for improving equipment performance.
- Inspect lines and figures for clarity and return erroneous drawings to designer for correction.
- Analyze test results in relation to design or rated specifications and test objectives, and modify or adjust equipment to meet specifications.
- Evaluate tool drawing designs by measuring drawing dimensions and comparing with original specifications for form and function, using engineering skills.
- Confer with technicians and submit reports of test results to engineering department and recommend design or material changes.
- Calculate required capacities for equipment of proposed system to obtain specified performance and submit data to engineering personnel for approval.
- Record test procedures and results, numerical and graphical data, and recommendations for changes in product or test methods.
- Read dials and meters to determine amperage, voltage, electrical output and input at specific operating temperature to analyze parts performance.
- Estimate cost factors, including labor and material for purchased and fabricated parts and costs for assembly, testing, and installing.
- Set up prototype and test apparatus and operate test controlling equipment to observe and record prototype test results.
- Operate drill press, grinders, engine lathe, or other machines to modify parts tested or to fabricate experimental parts for testing.
- Test equipment, using test devices attached to generator, voltage regulator, or other electrical parts, such as generators or spark plugs.
This project is supported, in part, by the National Science Foundation. Opinions expressed are those of the authors and not necessarily the Foundation.